Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Another Minor Experiment

    Gee, when you are off sick, you can find time to blog. Isn't that great? But I still hurt and now I'm getting a cold to boot. Oh well.
    As I sat here today wallowing in self pity I needed to wind shuttles CTM (continuous thread method). Winding the first shuttle is easy. I just put the thread thru the hole in the bobbin, wind a few turns, then let my sidewinder take over. Now I need to wind the second shuttle. Problem: I have to cut the thread off the ball to do this. How much thread do I need? I thought I had seen something on this online so I did a search. I found one report on Bella from Georgia Seitz, but not exactly what I needed.
    The solution is obvious, so I took the same size thread,  put it on the sidewinder, let it wind, then I measured how much I unwound. The result is the chart I am putting under Experiments on the right side of the web page. So far, I have listed the six sizes I use with Aero bobbins. This is for my Pop-A-Bobbin shuttles, of course, but should be good for any that use this bobbin.

    The photo shows how much i am putting on the bobbin. I don't want to overfill. The measurements I am listing are approximate. I marked off 36 inches (914mm) and just pulled it off and held it against it. I am probably off a few inches, but this works out close enough.
    I will update this to accommodate other shuttles in the future. I do have the Clover bobbin shuttles so I will try those. I will also wind the std size Clover and the larger size Clover, the SewMate, and others that I have in my collection. I do not think I will do the Tatsy. That thing would mean unwinding balls of thread.

4 comments:

  1. Well that's exactly what I make it for size 20 and a bobbin, Tim!!! Thanks for putting in the leg work on this. Whoops, perhaps that should be winding work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for back checking me, Jane. Doing the bobbins is easy. Unwinding post shuttles is the hard part.

      Delete
  2. I'd agree with Jane too Tim. It's what I measure off when I'm doing CTM as well! Must admit I'd never tried measuring other thicknesses. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do use other thicknesses. If you remember the top hat I did, it was in size 3. Lately I have been working in size 80. It may take a while for me to get to the other shuttle types.

      Delete