Monday, December 11, 2017

The Wife Made Me Do It

    This pair is my wife Barbara's fault. I had just finished a pair of earrings in black thread with orange beads and she says "That's for Halloween. This is Christmas. Do them for Christmas."
I dug through my beads and thread. I know I have Christmas green. Then I spotted the red beads. This is what came out. I think it looks like a holly wreath. The camera does not do it justice. They really do sparkle.

    They have already been claimed by Kathy at work! I will post her photo wearing them in a day or two.
    And yes I know I am going nuts making these, but I like them and so do the ladies to whom I give them.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Another Pair

    I suppose it is because Christmas is approaching. I was making this pair and a friend saw them. It didn't take him long to ask if I would do a pair for his wife. Same color and all. Hmmm. I  guess black and gold work well together. What I have not found yet are silver beads that I really like. I have several, but they are not exactly what I am looking for.

    Anyway, I am getting faster at these. It only took me 45 minutes to make one. Not even 2 hours for the set. No, I don't charge anything for them. I give them away. It just tickles me to see someone wear them. These were for the company nurse.

Monday, December 4, 2017

My GoTo Pattern

    I suppose we all have a "goto" pattern. This one is mine. I can carry it in a pocket and it takes only one shuttle. I am trying to develop a good way to do 2 shuttles with it. More on that if it works.
    I showed you the earrings I was making for a couple of friends at the hair palace. Now I need 2 more for the doctor's office. This is the first pair. I keep trying new bead combinations, especially for the center bead. I just have to put the wires on the second one and done!

    When I work this pattern, I like to be organized. I will make sure I have all my materials first. I found some boxes at Hobby Lobby that just fit the bill. I put a right and a left set of wires in the top right and left compartments, some seed beads I will need, the beads for the center go in the bottom right, and the shuttle can go where the seed beads are. Sometimes I will put the seed beads in the top middle. The separators in the box go all the way to the inside of the lid so the seed beads cannot spill over. One rubber band for security and away we go.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Don't Hand Me A String

    I was standing outside yesterday at work during break. A couple of the guys had pieces of string and were just playing with it. One made a noose, just playing around. He happened to get 13 wraps on it, which I understand is the correct number. As we walked back inside, one of the guys tossed his string to me. I think tatting must just be ingrained in me now. This is what happened, almost unconsciously.

    Maybe I tat too much? Nah, can't happen. Hehe.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Do-Dads? Doo-Dads?

    When I was at the state fair with the Palmetto Tatters Guild I was given a small box with some cards in it. We need do-dads to give away and these are some you can make in a couple of minutes.
I have 2 frogs, a fish and a turtle. I think the big frog (by Martha Ess) is my favorite because it uses a double picot for eyes. Those are easy to make, but I don't see them a lot. All the patterns are simple.

This is what I think I will use to empty shuttles.

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Tat A Brussels Monument

    It has been a while since the last post. I have been busy. A few of you know that my wife is not well. She has sciatica and possibly a recurrence of cancer so we have been at the doctor a lot. She is coming along and doing ok, but the pain from the sciatica is the worst of it. The cancer, if it is that, is under control and about taken care of.
    I was on Craftree the other day and found something to start on that is probably worthwhile.There is something called Tat A Brussels Monument. Here is a link to the pattern and more information. Please read the FAQ pdf. You can make the motifs in a pretty short time. She has a video on there to explain it to those who may have trouble with it.

This is my first one. I will probably send several and one of the ladies at work is going to make some too. In size 20, this comes out about 1" (25.4mm) across.

Sunday, October 29, 2017

A Small Doily

    I have been test tatting a small mat for someone. Amy, one of the people on Craftree, designed a piece for a clock face. She put the instructions out for anyone that wanted them. I had just gotten the sugar maple thread and I like her clock face, so I thought it would make a nice small doily. I think it did. I test tatted the pattern and there were just a couple of errors. I also made a PDF of it and it is linked on the site.
    She calls this one  Elemental Time. She is going to mount it on an LP record (if anyone remembers those) and attach a clock movement to it. It should be pretty nice.

    I did not try to get the arms perfectly aligned as I am not making the clock. I like it like it is.